Wednesday, October 14, 2015

An uncharted terrain...

Why are we adopting?

I don't think I honestly have an answer to this question...i probably did, in fact i probably had many before we started this entire journey... but the more i have been educating myself about adoption...the more i have realized that i don't have an answer to this...

At least not an answer that will do any justice to the child that we are about to adopt...you see, the child will be a living/breathing/real human being with real emotions and feelings...a human being that has already faced a huge loss just as his/her life is starting...so how do I use my petty words to try and explain to this child why i am adopting them...why i am moving them out of the only existence that they have ever known...out of their country and culture...

This has been my emotional growth... I am beginning to learn that i am really not that significant a being... i don't "know" what the right thing to do is in every situation...even though i may be an adult and a parent, i actually do not have all of the answers...that makes me realize that in the end, i am not here to "teach" my children (adopted or biological), but rather i am here to learn from them as well and that is a great humbling feeling!

Again, I think...why am I adopting?

It's because i want to give a child an opportunity...an opportunity that they may not get...we may be wrong, or we may be right...but only time will tell. But as of now, I already know, that this child has already helped me grow in way that I could not have foreseen...even though I still do not know who he/she is...and for that I am grateful.

No comments: