Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Meeting

[Continued]

Soon, Sunday morning came and I called up my mom to see what was going on...

The previous night, my mom had told me that 'A' was supposed to come to our house for breakfast that morning at 9.

At this point, I asked my mom, " Will I be meeting him? Mom, you've GOT to let me know beforehand, I need to be mentally prepared!"... my mom just silenced me and said, "What kind of mental preparation do you need, and I don't know, his parents are going to call and if they offer a proposal then we'll call you over to meet him."

This sort of even made me more anxious, but I continued on with getting ready for the day, I had just finished brushing my teeth and my uncle's wife (who is neighbors with my grandma) was offering to make me something to eat for breakfast, i was way too nervous to want to eat, when my mom called again this time rushing and saying " *****, I'm coming over to pick you up! His parents called and asked for your hand... Make sure your grandma is also ready because I'm going to have her come and meet 'A' as well". And so that was that... well... umm... the problem is, I wasn't prepared... mentally, nor physically...!

I was still in my jammies, on an empty stomach and now trying to think what kind of impression I had wanted to make on 'A' and therefore what I should wear, from the 2 outfits that I had been able to smuggle out of my own house in a hurry.

I decided on wearing a pink shalwar suit because people tell me I look good in pink... but i hadn't realized that the shalwar (baggy pant) was kind of see-through!... and so I could not wear it... I called up mom and asked if I could come home and change... but mom said there wouldn't be enough time.

So thus, began the story of finding something to wear... i had a denim skirt with a long shirt... both, which I love... but my grandma was totally against me wearing that... well i guess, she may have been right... the skirt is super casual (kind of like cut-offs with thread hanging out of the bottom). And so she set out to look through her closet to see if she could find me something amongst her clothes, that I could wear... she pulled out a nice dark purple shalwar suit... but it turned out to be way too big for me...

Long story short, I ended up wearing my own shalwar suit, minus my own shalwar... the original outfit was pink but had black embroidered flowers on it and so I ended up borrowing a black shalwar to go with the kameez (top).

Another problem I had was, in the hurry, I had forgotten to remove the nailpolish I was wearing on my hands and feet! (i couldn't pray, and since i was going to an all-mahram household, i didn't pay much attention to removing the polish before leaving home!).

Once again, I begged mom to let me go up to my room and get properly ready when we got home, but she said, "No, we can't make him wait". My always co-operative mom seemed kind of tense to me that day! :(

Again, looong story short, I ended up borrowing black socks from my grandma as well. And then we finally arrived at my house...

[To be continued...]

No comments: